New York City Flag Redesign

After watching “The Worst-Designed Thing You’ve Never Noticed” by Roman Mars for TED Talks, I checked out New York City’s flag. NYC’s flag violated rule #4 of flag design, no lettering or seals. New York City is one of the great cities of the world and deserves a flag that New Yorkers can stand behind.

CURRENT FLAG
NYC Flag
THOUGHTS

When brainstorming potential icons of NYC, I first thought of the twin towers. The towers made NYC’s landscape an icon but after 9/11, the towers became the symbol of the global war on terrorism. I didn’t want negative connotations associated with the city that I love. Lady Liberty ( Liberty ) is more positive and epitomizes the spirit of NYC and America. The challenge was to find a way to represent Liberty in a new way and incorporate that image with the current flag.

Lady Liberty
Liberty's Torch
CONCEPT

For New York City’s new flag, I focused on Liberty’s head and torch.

“Lady Liberty’s classic stature, face, and attire come from the Roman goddess Libertas, who also represents freedom from tyranny and oppression. The crown is reminiscent of a halo and its spikes show similarities to those of the sun gods–the Roman Apollo, and the Greek Helios.

Lady carries enlightenment to the world with the forever-lit torch (Liberty’s original name was Liberty Enlightening the World). Along with tools, the ability to create fire is one of the skills that led to civilization as we know it. Fire is symbolic of knowledge and brings light to the people.”  reference

New York City Flag Redesigned

What do you think about my redesign? How about as the redesigned logo for NYU? Let me know by leaving a comment.

nyuLogoRedesign

9 Comments

1. Devin Sep 15, 2016 - 08:42 PM

This is my favorite rendition I’ve seen

• admin Sep 16, 2016 - 10:43 PM

Thanks, Devin. It’s hard to come up with an image that says NY that isn’t clichéd. I did my best and this was the result.

2. Sarah Mar 15, 2017 - 02:39 AM

Have you pursued submitting this design to fix our flag?

• admin Mar 15, 2017 - 03:00 AM

Hi Sarah;

I tried sending a message directly to the mayor’s office via email and twitter but didn’t get a response. Also for NYU, I tried contacting people who would know more about how to proceed with a new redesign but to no avail. Have any ideas on who to contact regarding this matter?

3. Yelena Zhuravlev Oct 27, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Has anything come of this? I love your redesign of the nyc flag. Would gladly write to my reps to recommend your redesign be made official.

• admin Oct 28, 2017 - 03:38 AM

Hi Yelena;

Thanks for your kind words. I tried to contact the mayor’s office and city hall but to no avail. If you know someone who could help push this along, it would be greatly appreciated. For such a great city, it’s a real shame to not have a flag that matches the attitude of the city. Sharing is caring.

4. Anonf Oct 27, 2017 - 08:32 PM

5. Ethan Feb 23, 2018 - 04:12 AM

I’ve seen a lot of redesigns of the NYC flag that use the Statue of Liberty, and they’re all far too complex. One used the whole statue, one used a fully shaded full detail torch, both were terrible as flags, though they were nice to look at. Yours uses the statue in an elegant and simple way. It’s a flag I would be proud to have (potential NYU or Columbia student next year)

• admin Feb 23, 2018 - 04:26 AM

Hi Ethan;

Thanks for your support.

You’re right, there are a lot of overly complex designs out there and NYC deserves a worthy flag.

If you know of anyone I should talk to about this, please let me know.

Please share, maybe someone out there can help.

Good luck with NYU or Columbia.